Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Jacksonville again

Well it wasn't the way we wanted to start off but I'm Glad we got it fixed.
Son polishing freeze plug ports
Our Bronco has been a project and last winter I had added water to test the engine. After testing I drained the water back out, but apparently there was still enough in the lower cylinder jacket that when it froze it loosened or pushed out some freeze plugs. I didn't want to pull the engine to replace them properly at the time, so just pried the two that had come out, back in. Unfortunately when I warmed up the engine another popped out, so I pried that back in. It was looking like it was going to be fine and I even had 1500 miles on it now when the day we were leaving Virginia I blew another one out. We still left Virginia but pulling the Bronco that still had engine problems. The freeze plug that blew this time I couldn't just pry back in as it was located behind the engine mount and had no room for any tools. Once in Jacksonville we rearranged some plans and canceled a few others so that Son and I could pull the engine and get all six of the freeze plugs removed and replaced properly. We were able to use the Auto Hobby Shop on the Navy Base we were staying at so we could use their tools and still be able to do it ourselves. Once we were finished I wondered how many other 14 year old's could say they had removed and installed an engine before. See he's getting real world education and we are just getting started.

We Got to see some friends from when daughter was involved in American Heritage Girls (AHG) and Son got to give his Eagle Scout Mentor Pins to the leaders in his old troop who had helped him so much when we lived here.



We also took care of several business items while in the area also before we left for Pensacola.

No comments:

Post a Comment